4Kids Entertainment was a television production company known for its use of Americanizing anime. They were also known for their blocks of Saturday morning programming from the FoxBox from 2002 to 2005 when it was changed to 4Kids TV to 2005 to 2008 and finally Toonzai, which ended after a lawsuit involving the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise led to 4Kids filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, leading to Saban buying most of 4Kids assets and creating Vortexx in 2012, which ended 2 years later, ending the era of Saturday Morning Cartoons. 4Kids would later become a licensing company under the name 4Licensing Corporation. Another subsidiary 4K Media License would be bought by Konami.
Why They Suck
- They didn't just dub anime, they Americanized it. They removed Japanese culture and references. In one Pokémon episode, Brock infamously referred to rice balls (onigiri) as "jelly-filled doughnuts" (though in a later episode he correctly calls them "rice balls"). This is because they thought American audiences would not understand Japanese culture. Audiences think otherwise and also think it should be kept in so that the audience especially children can learn some world history for social studies.
- Sometimes there were terrible choices of voice actors for characters, like Ted Lewis as James, Sam Riegel as Tristan Taylor, Tom Souhrada as Shanks, Erica Shroeder as Luffy, and David Moo as Sanji. Those voice actors also sounded out of place or had no (or very little) effort put in.
- Their One Piece dub, which gave 4Kids a bad reputation.
- They replaced all the original music for it to "appeal to an American audience". They never knew that music is universal and can be enjoyed by anyone.
- The theme songs (except the ones for Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Sonic X) are cheesy and repetitive.
- They were completely terrified of Moral Guardians. Literally everything involving death is removed or censored. For instance, to replace character death or torture in the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, many characters are simply sent to the Shadow Realm, or sent to the stars (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX) or in one of the worst cases, just left (Dragon Ball Z Kai. It also aired on Vortexx, but the version that aired on the 4Kids-owned Toonzai channel was more heavily censored).
- Never even finished Yu-Gi-Oh! GX just because they wanted to focus on 5D's. Despite that, they were still working on the original Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters when they started working on GX.
- Never even finished up 5D's either (though to be fair, they at least had low ratings and the lawsuit as an excuse).
- Their infamous National Anthem, which is a massive insult to the Star Spangled Banner (the American national anthem), anime/cartoon characters, and the United States of America all together, and it was widely panned by the majority of TV audiences. Every voice actor that performed in it sucked except Dan Green and Jason Griffith.
- Changing the F-Zero GP Legend anime (Falcon Densetsu in Japanese) from altering scenes, not showing a bit of violence, and even cutting out some episodes, including the series finale.
- The company's original productions are great, such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003).
- Some of the anime they dubbed were amazing. Like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Sonic X, Ultimate Muscle and even Kirby Right Back at Ya!
- Their dubbing translation is almost as close to the original dialogue in the Japanese version.
- Had some faith to the source material.
- Most of the voice actors were awesome and well casted. As they actually tried putting effort into their voice acting, and some of the characters they voiced were awesome. Like Eric Stuart as Brock, James, and Seto Kaiba. Jason Griffith as Sonic the Hedgehog and Shadow the Hedgehog. Amy Birnbaum as Tea Gardner, Max, Cosmo, and Charmy Bee. Greg Abbey as Tristan Taylor. Veronica Taylor as Ash Ketchum. Tara Sands as Mokuba Kaiba. Erica Schroeder as Nurse Joy and Blaze the Cat. Mike Pollock as Dr. Eggman. Lisa Ortiz as Amy Rose. Amy Palant as Miles "Tails" Prower. Suzanne Goldish as Chris Thorndyke. Wayne Grayson as Joey Wheeler. Jimmy Zopi as Gary Oak and Vector the Crocodile. Darren Dunstan as Maximillion Pegasus. Ted Lewis as Bakura and King Dedede. And the best out of all of them: Dan Green as Yugi Muto/Pharaoh Atem and Knuckles the Echidna.
- Mike Pollock's role as Dr. Eggman in Sonic X is what started his career of voicing Dr. Eggman in the video game series of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Had some creative ways of censoring death, such as the Shadow Realm.
- Bringing Pokèmon, Sonic X and Yu-Gi-Oh to the US, which were their best anime series.
- Good animation (despite the fact that 4Kids Amercanized its anime shows).