Ben 10 is a reboot of the 2005 series of the same name that premiered in Australia, New Zealand and Asia-Pacific on October 1, 2016, and in the United States on April 10, 2017 on Cartoon Network.
Ben, a ten year old boy lives with his family Gwen Tennyson, his sister, and Max Tennyson, his grandfather. During a summer vacation, a meteor crashes next to his vehicle, the "Rustbucket". Ben inspects the meteor, and while doing so a high tech advanced device attaches to his left wrist. He quickly discovers that the device allows him to transform into ten distinct aliens. With this new device he calls the "Omnitrix" Ben battles villains and fixes disasters.
In "Omni-Tricked", he upgraded his Omnitrix using his Upgrade alien, which gives him an additional alien to transform into and also gives him armor upgrades for nine of his existing ten aliens, called "Omni-Enhanced" forms.
Why It Sucks
- Mediocre animation.
- Poor character design. Ben and Gwen look like that they are 7-year-olds and, like Teen Titans Go!, their heads are bigger than their bodies. Also, each human head has an awkward red glow around their noses. Ben's alien forms also look more humanoid, most notably Stinkfly because in the original, he looks like an actual bug, but looks like a man in a bug costume in the reboot, and Overflow because he is just a copy of Water Hazard, but with a somewhat different appearance and is somehow not Water Hazard's species.
- No origin story episode, which may confuse most people who haven't watched the original Ben 10 series.
- Lack of any action scenes which include Ben fighting his enemies, when the original series, Alien Force, Ultimate Alien, and Omniverse which this show is a reboot of its known for action scenes.
- Terrible voice acting, with some of the voice actors of the original being replaced by new ones. For example, Megan Smith, the original voice of Gwen, is replaced by Montserrat Hernandez and Paul Eiding, the original voice of Grandpa Max, is replaced by David Kaye.
- Unrelated to the series itself, but Cartoon Network is airing episodes of this show in other regions before the US, despite Man of Action, the series' creator, being an American company. For example, the series aired in the U.K. in 2016 before the US in 2017. Also, the second season has not aired in the US and has not even been announced in the US yet. The only way to actually get clips is to go watch the Cartoon Network UK channel on YouTube, and even then the clips aren't full episodes.
- Bringing Max Mittelman (Saitama from One-Punch Man) to voicing Overflow. It wouldn't made sense for Max to voice for Feedback, another miscast and miss opportunity.
- Overflow? A hero shouldn't have been some kind of water elemental alien as an opposite towards Heatblast. Nope, just a reused version of Water Hazard! Face Palm.
- Shock Rock is another energy based alien, Feedback and Alien X replacement.
- The humor is cringy.
- Mocking classic cartoons, gamers, toy collectors, tour guides, musicians, celebrities, etc.
- Limited transformation setting.
- Ghostfreak, Wildmutt and Ripjaws are discarded from this series either not being humanoid or complicated designs.
- At least it doesn't take up a large portion of airtime on Cartoon Network like Teen Titans Go! , and it's also better than TTG and The Powerpuff Girls Reboot .
- At least most of the original crew (most notably Tara Strong), including the creators of the original Ben 10 were involved in this reboot.
- Its merchandising that Playmates released are actually not that bad.
- The "Omni-Tricked" four-part episode is actually pretty good. Ben's Omnitrix gets upgraded and this upgrade actually persists through the second season. He also gains the ability to enhance his aliens with new armor upgrades.
- Unlike Teen Titans Go! and The Powerpuff Girls (2016), it still has some action, despite the fact that it focuses more on comedy.
Ben 10 received mostly mixed reviews from critics and negative reception from fans of the original show. It currently has a 2.6/10 in iMDB.