Fanboy & Chum Chum is an American 3D CGI animated television series created by Eric Robles for Nickelodeon. It is based on Fanboy, an animated short created by Robles for Nicktoons and Frederator Studios, which was broadcast August 14, 2009 to October 17, 2012 on Random! Cartoons. The series was first broadcast October 12, 2009 on Nickelodeon as a preview, then officially premiered November 6, 2009 after SpongeBob's Truth or Square.
Two friends go on abnormal adventures and do unrealistic goals.
Why It Sucks
- The animation is rigid and ugly in early episodes.
- Horrid character designs.
- Overuse of toilet humor.
- The ruse of pop culture references is weird, and even adult movies, such as A Clockwork Orange and The Shining, are referenced.
- The voice acting mostly consists of screaming and squealing, and as a result, it’s not even actual voice acting. In fact, this also wasted the talents of David Hornsby, Jamie Kennedy and Josh Duhamel, and overused Jeff Bennett, Jim Cummings, Nika Futterman, and Candi Milo.
- The show rips off both SpongeBob SquarePants and The Ren and Stimpy Show; it rips off the former by having Fanboy and Chum Chum being similar to SpongeBob and Patrick (two eccentric idiots who annoy, and are disliked by, several people around them, with one being more rational than the other; they also act similarly to SpongeBob), Kyle being similar to Squidward (a grumpy, vain character who's constantly annoyed by the two main characters and is the Butt-Monkey of the show who's hated and treated poorly by other characters), and ripping off elements from multiple episodes; and it rips off the latter with its similar animation style, usage of gross-out and toilet humor, and surrealism.
- Kyle's cliché of being treated like dirt is insulting, turning him into a MegWard the Wizard, a character who gets abused by everyone in the show for no apparent reason at all!
- Terrible pacing that feels like the writers weren't even trying.
- Some characters are clearly the same people, but with different names and classifications. For example, Lunch Lady Cram's twin sister, Bus Lady Cram, is basically her but as a bus driver. She has the same appearance as Lunch Lady Cram (the only difference is the hat), same personality of Lunch Lady Cram (only much more hurtful, cruel, and sadistic), and even the voice actor of Lunch Lady Cram, Candi Milo (only her voice is slightly deeper and has a much more evil laugh). In one episode, before her name was revealed, everyone in the show even called her Lunch Lady Cram because of this.
- The background music sounds distorted.
- Kyle, Lenny, Boog, Lupe, and Agent Johnson are likable characters.
- Some moments are actually pretty funny.
- Season 2 is pretty decent and a major improvement over the first season.
- The season finale truly felt like an actual season finale.
- The animation does get better in season two.
- Nickelodeon tried to redo (or rip off) the concept with Robot and Monster, Which wasn't great but it was better.