Ikki Tousen (一騎当千 Ikkitōsen) (Known in North America as Battle Vixens) is an anime series from different studios such as JC Staff, Arms and TNK adapted from the manga of the same name by Yuji Shiozaki. The anime has over 4 12/13-episode series (Battle Vixens, Dragon Destiny, Great Guardians and Xtreme Xecutor) produced in 2003, 2007, 2008 and 2010 respectively, and has spawned 2 OVAs and 3 games, with even some of the characters from the anime also appearing in two Senran Kagura games as DLC characters (Estival Versus and Peach Beach Splash). While the anime series itself did enjoy some success, it is however overshadowed by an overwhelmingly poor reception. The 2nd series, Dragon Destiny was banned in New Zealand due to the sexual and violent exploitation of children and minors.
The story is loosely inspired by Romance of the Three Kingdoms, hence why several of the main characters such as Hakufu Sonsaku and Kanu Unchou are named and themed after various Chinese warlords such as Sun Ce and Guam Yu. The story focuses on Hakufu Sonsaku of the Nanyo Academy wanting to conquer the 7 other high schools of the Kanto region, by battling against the students who are also named after the various warlords, hence the sacred jewel they wear called Magatama, which hold the essence of the warriors of the Three Kingdoms-era of China, and their fates.
Why it Sucks
- Bland and forgettable story with dull and inconsistent pacing.
- Annoying, uninteresting and underdeveloped characters, especially Hakufu herself.
- Focuses way too much on fanservice and action, hence why there are tons of panty shots etc. here and now and then.
- Character designs and animations are half-way decent.
- Had some interesting ideas, if only the exceution wasn't so poor.