Pupa (ピューパ Pyūpa) is a 2014 horror anime series by Studio DEEN, adapted from the manga of the same name. It was broadcast during the Winter 2014 season, and is widely considered to be one of the worst anime shows of all time.
Siblings Utsutsu and Yume Hasegawa get infected by the Pupa virus, which gives the former regenerative abilities, while turning the latter into a flesh-eating monster whenever she is famished.
Why it Sucks
- The episodes are way too short, each of them running for only 4 minutes. To make things worse the series runs for only 12 episodes. When combined, the whole series runs for only 48 minutes; which is the length of 2 episodes of a typical anime.
- Despite being a horror anime, it clearly has no idea how to actually be scary. Therefore, there is plenty of excessive gory. The problem with this is that it makes a lot of the scenes downright repulsive and unpleasant to sit through.
- Terrible and messy story with inconsistent pacing.
- Uninteresting and underdeveloped characters.
- The relationship between the siblings is INCEST.
- Terrible animation and artwork, complete with bland character designs.
- Gratuitous, pointless, and distracting censorship that ends up covering way too much of the screen with black bars.
- The ending is disappointing and unsatisfying because it doesn’t resolve ANY plot threads.
- Poor background music that doesn't fit what's going on.
- Good Japanese voice acting.
- Pupa (the opening theme) and Dare Yori Suki Nano Ni (the ending theme) are good songs.