Pupa (ピューパ Pyūpa) is a 2014 horror anime series by Studio DEEN, adapted from the manga of the same name. It was broadcast during the Winter 2014 season, and is widely considered to be one of the worst anime shows of all time.
Siblings Utsutsu and Yume Hasegawa get infected by the Pupa virus, which gives the former regenerative abilities, while turning the latter into a flesh-eating monster whenever she is famished.
Why it Sucks
- The episodes are way too short, each of them running for only 4 minutes. To make things worse the series runs for only 12 episodes. When combined, the whole series runs for only 48 minutes; which is the length of 2 episodes of a typical anime.
- The anime clearly has no idea on how to actually be scary. Therefore, there are plenty of excessively gory scenes. The problem with this is that it makes the gore scenes downright repulsive and unpleasant to sit through.
- Terrible and messy story with inconsistent pacing.
- Uninteresting and underdeveloped characters.
- The relationship between the siblings is INCEST.
- Terrible and lazy animation and artwork, complete with bland character designs.
- Gratuitous, pointless, and distracting censorship that ends up covering way too much of the screen with black bars.
- The ending is disappointing and unsatisfying because it doesn’t resolve ANY plot threads. It's also disgusting to watch because it features Yume devouring Utsutsu.
- Piss-poor background music.
- It isn't very faithful to its source material.
- Good Japanese voice acting.
- Pupa (the opening theme) and Dare Yori Suki Nano Ni (the ending theme) are pretty solid.