During Seasons 6 to 8, SpongeBob SquarePants experienced a massive decline in quality from 2008 to 2012.
Why These Seasons Suck
- It's sometimes boring, annoying, mostly obnoxious and gross out
- Most of the characters have been out of character badly, some of them even becoming flat-out unlikable or frustrating:
- Spongebob has gone from a lovable, naive protagonist to a very annoying crybaby in some episodes like A Day Without Tears, and who stalks Squidward in some episodes like Boating Buddies, Squid's Visit and Choir Boys. He isn't that bad in some episodes though.
- Patrick has turned from hilariously stupid to annoyingly stupid. Patrick has also became a selfish jerk in various episodes of these seasons, like in Yours, Mine and Mine and Patrick's Staycation.
- Mr. Krabs has turned from just greedy to straight-up evil.
- A lot of bad episodes, to the point the episodes that had their individual pages on this wiki once cluttered this wiki.
- Some episodes are very mean-spirited, mainly involving Squidward (rarely even SpongeBob) getting tortured.
- Some episodes are incredibly stupid and have stupid jokes too, like "inSPONGEiac" and "Earworm".
- Some episodes have gross-out humor or disturbing content. How can you make Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon's gross out humor worse than that?
- Some episodes try to be like an episode from the old era, or The Ren & Stimpy Show, but some either get them wrong or fail trying to be like these episodes from two good cartoons by ripping the ideas off from either Ren & Stimpy or the first three seasons. (For example: Home Sweet Rubble tries to be like Home Sweet Pineapple, but it failed miserably because it tries way too hard to be like Home Sweet Pineapple).
- Some episodes are just really boring and have filler like many of the Plankton episodes.
- Other episodes are just not funny at all. Either they are episodes that are just violent or don't stay true to the show.
- The TV movie Truth or Square was not well-received, mainly due to the blatant bait-and-switches.
- Some episodes ripoff ideas from previous episodes (For example, "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy" is a ripoff of the episode "Imitation Krabs").
- SpongeBob's higher-pitched voice, which had been implemented in season 4, is annoying.
Examples of Bad Episodes from These Seasons:
- "The Splinter"
- "Boating Buddies"
- "Squid's Visit"
- "Choir Boys"
- "The Card"
- "Pet or Pests"
- "The Clash of Triton"
- "Dear Vikings"
- "A Pal for Gary"
- "One Coarse Meal"
- "Stuck in the Wringer"
- "Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy"
- "Yours, Mine and Mine"
- "Big Sister Sam"
- "A Day Without Tears"
- "Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful"
- "Krusty Dogs"
- "Model Sponge"
- "The Cent of Money"
- "Karate Star"
- "The Play's the Thing"
- "You Don't Know, Sponge"
- "The Sinking Feeling"
- "Hide and Then What Happens?"
- "Pet Sitter Pat"
- "Demolition Doofus"
- "Smoothe Jazz in Bikini Bottom"
- "Face Freeze!"
- "Plankton's Good Eye"
- "Sentimental Sponge"
- "Are You Happy Now?"
- "Home Sweet Rubble"
- "Restraining SpongeBob"
- "InSPONGEiac" (rip off of "Insomiac Ren")
- "Patrick's Staycation"
- A handful of good or decent episodes like "Sand Castles in the Sand", "Perfect Chemistry", "Frozen-Face Off", "Planet of the Jellyfish", "The Great Patty Caper", "SpongeBob's Last Stand" (depending on your view), "Chum Bucket Supreme", "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!", "I Heart Dancing" (because this episode does have Squidward getting his comeuppance), "Hello Bikini Bottom", "A SquarePants Family Vacation" (depending on your view), "Love That Squid", "Suction Cup Symphony". "Not Normal", "Chum Fricassee", "Spongicus", "Treats!", "Single Cell Anniversary", etc.
- There are some good jokes here and there.
- The animation, character designs (since the change to digital paint) and voice acting all improved.
- "Truth or Square" was the first time SpongeBob went in widescreen (despite the show staying in 4:3 until Summer 2012, and 2013).
- The songs and musical numbers are still fun to enjoy (for example: "We've Got Scurvy!").
- Some really good tracks were composed in these seasons. (example: "Slide Whistle Song").
- The title cards and time cards are still usually good.
- Some moments from these seasons have became internet memes. (Examples: "Who put you on the planet?" from "I Heart Dancing").
- Some fans consider Season 8 to be a minor improvement over Seasons 6 and 7, mainly due to the return of the old humor and some of the mature scenes from the earlier seasons, as well as slightly better writing (resulting to some good episodes such as "It's A SpongeBob Christmas"), and SpongeBob's voice returned to normal-pitch for the first time since Seasons 1-3.
- The show has gotten better after these seasons ever since season nine.